Social media already affect our regular life. No one can say they do not need to use social media. Thus, numerous corporations use social media services in their operation, such as Facebook, Twitter, Blog and LinkedIn. Corporation would like to use these tools improve business of company and increase staffs’ interaction with company. However, using social media services may cause some risks and threaten a company’s safety. The problem may use social media tools which between personal life and work life blurred boundaries. Therefore, social media policy will solve some problems and decrease unnecessary risks. The legal risks can be divided into two sections: internal and external.
Using International Business Machines Corporation (IBM) analyse legal risks
In IBM, they use some internal wiki and blog platform. Thus they have some legal risks, and need to make relevant policies.
|Legal risks||Relevant policy|
|Confidential information &reputation risk||Identify yourself—name and role at IBM.When you discuss IBM or IBM-related matters, such as IBM products or services. You must make it clear that you are speaking for yourself and not on behalf of IBM.|
|Privacy risks & reputation risks||IBM employees publish some posts in blog or other social network website, they should responsible the content which does not reveal any privacy information.|
|Reputation risks||If staffs publish some personal concept, they should use disclaimer such as this: “The postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent IBM’s positions, strategies or opinions.”|
|Confidential information||Do not provide IBM confidential information or professional information, especially data does not be published.|
|Copyright||Respect copyright. If partners or suppliers do not allow, do not use citation and references.|
|Defamation||Respect your audience. Don’t use ethnic slurs, personal insults, obscenity, or engage in any conduct that would not be acceptable in IBM’s workplace.|
|Misstatement||If occur some wrong, correct own mistake first.|
|Copyright and trademark||Do not directly use IBM logos or trademarks when using behaviour does not be permitted.|
IBM supports open communication and exchange of ideas. Thus employees and corporation have a fine interaction. Besides, respect copyright and fair use laws, protect confidential information and professional information. If you make an error, quickly correct your mistake, it can help to restore trust.
- IBM. (2012). IBM social computing guidelines. Retrieved from http://www.ibm.com/blogs/zz/en/guidelines.html
- Jacobson, J. (2012). Social Media: 5 legal risks to your company. Retrieved from http://www.practicalecommerce.com/articles/3609-Social-Media-5-Legal-Risks-to-Your-Company
- Hibbard, C. (2010). How IBM uses social media to spur employee innovation. Retrieved from http://www.socialmediaexaminer.com/how-ibm-uses-social-media-to-spur-employee-innovation/
- Osborne, N. (2011). Using social media in education, Part 1: Opportunity, risk, and policy. Retrieved from http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/industry/library/ind-educ-social-media1/index.html
- Burrows , M. (2011). Legal risks of social networking for business. Retrieved from http://www.dundaslawyers.com.au/legal-risks-of-social-networking-for-business/
- Burrows , M. (2011). Do organisations need social media policies? Retrieved from http://www.dundaslawyers.com.au/do-organisations-need-social-media-policies/#more-932