Blogging and micro-blogging are the same in essentials while differing in minor points. Creating a blog post need to spend a period time, however, micro-blogging does not need to write long post. Micro blogging has some attraction which features are immediacy and portability. The Micro blogging allow users publish a short post which is between 140 and 200 characters. People will focus on some micro-blogging charms. The first one is group conversation function and another one is cross-platform data interactive and interactive. Micro-blogging also is web 2.0 tools that allow the user to broadcast short messages to other users of service. Its greatest feature is integration and Application Program Interface (API) open type, hence, user can through their mobile devices, instant messaging software (e.g. gtalk、MSN、QQ、Skype) and external API interface publish information in their micro-blogging.
Our groups 5 Micro-blogging strategy:
Some blog providers:
- Blogger: The blog was merged in 2003 by Google. Blogger has high custom and no advertisements. Therefore, they are one of the largest blogging platforms.
- WordPress.com: Automattic provides blog writing and publishing service in 2003. The blog also has high custom and no advertisements. Besides, they are one of the largest blogging platforms
Some micro-blogging providers:
Twitter: They provide micro-blogging service start from 2006. Some people say Twitter is similar the Internet’s short message service.
Plurk: This is micro-blogging social networking sites. The website was started by 2008. Although Plurk function is similar Twitter, they have a timeline which record this user with friends chatting history.
Google Buzz: The micro-blogging was developed by Google. Google Buzz is integrated in gmail. However, Google develops Google+ and stops Google Buzz service in 2011.
Jaiku: Jaiku is a social networking sites and micro-blogging service. The function is similar Twitter. Jaiku started from 2006, and was merged in 2007 by Google. Especially, Jaiku provides lifestreaming function which integrates numerous the Internet activities, such as Flickr photo and Last.fm music.
Some strategies using in organization
- Integrate micro-blogging become a communication plan: Customers can provide their feedback which is consuming experience and opinion in micro-blogging. Staffs share their product develop plans and ideas. In this section, micro-blogging can separate external and internal.
- Follow competitors and counterattack their policy: Micro-blogging provides a platform which can get competitors information and monitor state. When corporations know competitors have a new policy, they can immediately strike back it. Besides, they also can observe competitors with their followers’ interaction.
- Timely hold sales promotion and give some vouchers: In micro-blogging, corporation can timely hold activities which can increase company followers. Putting some special title and attract guests attention.
Starbucks’ case study
Starbucks using Twitter has a long time now. They share some interesting activities, music information and charity-related topics in Twitter. They also use Twitter communication with their customers. Besides, Starbucks has over 30000 followers who not only attend entertainment, but also focus other topic, such as charity-related. As a result, Starbucks already accept micro-blogging as a new way of customer relationship management.
- Starbucks Twitter
- Coffee Break: How coffee companies do micro-blogging
- Implementing a successful corporate micro-blogging strategy
- Enterprise Micro blog architecture